The Teeswater Curling Club was established in 1954. We are a member of the Ontario Curling Association. We offer our members recreational and competitive curling. There are a number of bonspiels and other events held at the club every year and we invite everyone to participate in these events.
The membership of the club has successfully run several fund-raisers and other events including:
- Fish Fry - 2003 to 2009
- Pie & Ice Cream Booth at the 2008 Teeswater-Culross hosted IPM
- Junior Provincial Championships January 2010
There are likely many more activities & accomplishments of our club that should be included here, please send information to firstname.lastname@example.org to help us gather details for this site.
The following history of curling in Teeswater is from "All Our Yesterdays: A History of Culross Township 1854 - 1984" as compiled by the Teeswater Historical Society, 1984. Printed by Stan Brown Printers Ltd.
The Teeswater-Culross Memorial Arena
Recreation for all age groups has always been an important
consideration in Teeswater.
The first known rink was erected by James Fraser on
The Teeswater-Culross Memorial Arena was built as a memorial to
the men who gave their lives in World War II.
The cost was $27,000.
The money was raised by public subscription, donations and fund-raising
events. Teeswater Council
donated $5,000 from the Post War Fund and the Teeswater Agricultural
Society donated an equal sum.
Two lots on
Once opened, a full schedule of hockey, figure skating and curling kept the ice maker busy. Vince Petteplace held this position for a number of years. The arena was used for various functions throughout the remainder of the year. At fair time rows of exhibits filled it in the daytime and at night, a concert drew capacity crowds. A sectional dance platform was laid in the late 1950’s. In 1966 and ’67 an artificial ice plant was installed. This was a joint Centennial Project of the Teeswater and Culross Councils. After serving the community well for many years the arena was closed in January, 1976. An inspection by the Ontario Department of Labour declared it to be structurally unsound.
After much public discussion, three proposals were presented at a public meeting held on March 18, 1976. These options were: rebuild the arena; build a new arena and community centre; or build a new arena community centre and curling rink. The majority voted to build an arena and community centre.
In Dr. Gillies’ “History of Teeswater” it is stated that a
curling club was started in 1878, using a building on
Years later, about 1910, Tom Friendship remembers curling on a
sheet of ice beside the skating area in the old rink on
In 1953 the first Bruce County Federation of Agriculture bonspiel
was held in Walkerton.
Wilbur McKague, Weir McDonald and Stewart McDonald persuaded Cecil
Button (who had curling experience in
By this time there seemed to be enough interest to form a local club and the following executive was appointed: President – Herb Duffy, Sec. Treas. – J.S. McDonald, and a committee of Wilbur McKague, Cecil Button, Jack Porter, Harold McCormick, Gordon Stobo and Lloyd Sillick. A canvas was made of the village and township. Memberships and donations provided the funds to purchase forty pairs of second-hand rocks. Arrangements were made to use the arena for two days a week.
On the opening day about 160 enthusiastic men and women showed up for the two draws in the afternoon and two draws at night. A few had curling brooms; some had house brooms; others came to see what the game was all about and try to get the rocks from one end of the ice to the other. Unmatched rocks and natural ice did not provide ideal curling conditions, but many became addicted to the “roaring” game. When the arena floor was cemented and an artificial ice plant installed, the club was able to buy matched rocks. A comfortable second story lounge, with windows overlooking the ice surface was built, and many successful bonspiels were held.
Much of the credit for the success of the club must go to Jack
Porter who was secretary-treasure for thirteen years, and whose untiring
efforts and diplomacy in the drawing up of rinks each season, posting
weekly schedules, and acting as draw master did much to keep things
running smoothly. In 1976
the arena, like many others in
Present and past members were canvassed, twenty-two club members signed demand notes for credit at the Bank of Montreal, the curling rocks were used for collateral, and wherever possible, volunteers were used as workers. Bonspiels, dances, talent shows, barbecues and catering brought in some cash. When interest rates jumped from 12% to 23% the situation was serious. In 1980 an Agri-Lotto Committee was formed to raise money, and in 1981 a grant from Wintario was acquired.
With the new cement floor and an ice-making machine, the ice surface became much improved and curling became more competitive. Younger people where encouraged to join, a after school league was formed. The club members became more efficient and in 1982 a rink won the Huron title. In 1983 another rink won the Culross Mutual 13 B championship. Junior teams had won in 1974 and 1975, and now curling is firmly established for young and old, women as well as men. Mona Ballagh, the only woman who had learned to curl out west, was one of the early instructors for the women, and is still curling in 1984.